skip to content
Law Handbook banner image

Finding out who to sue

The first step in making a claim is to find out exactly who you should sue. If you do not put the correct person’s name or business name on the forms, you may have difficulty obtaining judgment or a judgment made in your favour may be set aside. If you do not find out the correct and current address, the other party may not receive your forms and you may have to start the whole process again.

Similarly, you need to identify yourself correctly on the claim form. If the claim is on behalf of your business or partnership, use this name on the claim form.

An action can be brought against a person, a business (sole trader or partnership) or a company.

To find the address of a private person:

  • see if any documents contain the person's address
  • ring the person and ask them for their address
  • check the White Pages
  • check the electoral roll.

For a business (sole trader or partnership), to find the business owner's name and the correct business name and address, you can search the Business Name Register on the ASIC Connect website .

For a company, you must use the company's name and registered address on any documentation, not the name and address of individuals running the company. To find the correct company name, you can search for it using the company ABN or ACN (these numbers should be on any documentation you have from the company) on the ASIC Connect website .

To get the registered address of a company, you can:

Further information can be obtained from ASIC on 1300 300 630.

Finding out who to sue  :  Last Revised: Tue Jul 5th 2016
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.