skip to content
Law Handbook banner image

Complaints against councils (Local government)

Complaints against a council may arise from a decision made by the council or an action they have taken. They may include complaints about services provided or conduct of council employees or council members.

The first step in any complaint against a council is to contact your council office or your local council member to make the complaint.

For contact information for all South Australian councils see .

The complaints process may vary depending on the type of matter it is so it is important to ask the council for assistance in how to make a complaint for a particular matter. For instance, a complaint about animal control under the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 will have a different procedure to a complaint about how a property has been valuated.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome you can ask the council for an internal review. This request must be made in writing. Councils must make available their policy and procedures for conducting an internal review.

If the complaint has not been resolved through internal review you can contact the South Australian Ombudsman. The Ombudsman has the power to investigate complaints against local government agencies. They also conduct reviews of freedom of information decisions made by councils.

Under sections 63(1) and 110(1) of the Local Government Act 1999 (SA) the Minister for Planning has published the following codes of conduct to provide guidance as to the behaviour and conduct expected of council members and employees respectively:

For information on how to object to property valuations see Complaints about taxation (State government).

Complaints against councils (Local government)  :  Last Revised: Thu Dec 15th 2016
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.