Complaints against lawyers

The Legal Profession Conduct Commission is an independent body set up under the Legal Practitioners Act 1981 (SA) to maintain the highest standards of professional behaviour within the legal profession. The Legal Profession Conduct Commissioner is empowered too investigate complaints of unsatisfactory professional conduct or professional misconduct by lawyers.

A person who is concerned about the conduct of a lawyer, including whether they have been overcharged by their lawyer, can complain in writing to the Legal Profession Conduct Commission (LPCC). If a complainant has difficulty with writing or with the English language, she or he may contact the LPCC for assistance.

The LPCC has a standard complaint form which can be accessed from the LPCC website or a complaint form can be sent out in the mail.

The LPCC also has a telephone and email enquiry service which provides information about the complaint and investigation process and can assist in informally conciliating complaints in appropriate circumstances. The online enquiry form can be accessed here:

If a legally aided person has a complaint about their lawyer in relation to professional misconduct, they may wish to notify the Legal Services Commission of SA as well as the LPCC.

If seeking to change to another lawyer, they will need to ask the Legal Services Commission to transfer the grant of aid from the first lawyer to second. It is not the role of the Legal Services Commission to investigate professional complaints about lawyers.

Legal Profession Conduct Commission
Telephone: 08 8212 7924 / 1800 337 570 (Toll free)
Note - for complaints against judicial offices (such as Judges) see:
Complaints about overcharging  :  Last Revised: Mon Aug 7th 2017
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.
Link to - find what you're looking for

© Legal Services Commission - All Rights Reserved
Funded with the support of the Governments of Australia and South Australia Website by CeRDI