Rooming Houses

The Residential Tenancies Act 1995 (SA) provides some protection for residents (boarders and lodgers) of rooming houses [see ss 103-105W]. A rooming house is defined as rooms that are available for a residential purpose on a commercial basis for at least three people [see Residential Tenancies Act 1995 (SA) s 3]. Boarding arrangements in private homes would only be covered if there are three or more boarders. There are no proposals for this Act to cover other boarders and lodgers and the only relevant law is the common law, see Boarders and lodgers.

See the following sections on house rules, obligations of proprietors and tenants, rent increases, and termination of agreement (including when someone abandons the property).

Rooming Houses  :  Last Revised: Thu Oct 27th 2016
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.
Link to - find what you're looking for

© Legal Services Commission - All Rights Reserved
Funded with the support of the Governments of Australia and South Australia Website by CeRDI