Registering a change of name

Any person over the age of 18 years can change his or her name by obtaining the appropriate form from the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry and paying the fee.

The completed form must be signed and witnessed in the presence of a Justice of the Peace and lodged with a certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate and two forms of identification. Registration takes five working days and a registration certificate can then either be collected from the Registry or arrangements can be made for it to be posted to the applicant.

There is a fee to register a change of name, which includes a Change of Name Certificate or an amended Birth Certificate. If a person is unable to visit the Registration Office, they can telephone 131 882 to discuss alternatives and further information about what is required is available on the website.

Change of name on marriage

There is no law requiring a woman to take her husband's surname on marriage. If a woman does decide to adopt her husband's name, no formal registration of the change is needed. Generally, it is sufficient for the wife to inform the relevant agencies and institutions of the marriage and the change of name. Sometimes (such as when applying for a passport) it may be necessary to produce the marriage certificate. It is also legal for women to keep their premarital names for professional or business affairs while using their married names in their private lives.

Change of name on separation or divorce

A woman may choose to keep her husband's name after the marriage has been dissolved or she may go back to using her premarital name. There is no need for a woman to wait until the divorce is final before changing her name. A woman who remarries may adopt her new husband's surname or use her first husband's name, or her premarital name.

Registering a change of name  :  Last Revised: Fri Dec 16th 2016
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.
Link to - find what you're looking for

© Legal Services Commission - All Rights Reserved
Funded with the support of the Governments of Australia and South Australia Website by CeRDI