Applying for property settlement

Either spouse can apply to the Family Law Courts for property division. The Federal Circuit Court hears most matters. Whilst applications for property settlement can be lodged in either the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court, most matters, unless complex, are heard in the Federal Circuit Court.

There are no restrictions on the amount of the value of the property in dispute.

In limited circumstances, residents in country areas can make an application to the local state Magistrates Court for property up to the value of $20 000 [see Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) s 46].

What needs to be done before applying?  :  Last Revised: Mon Jun 1st 2015
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.
Link to - find what you're looking for

© Legal Services Commission - All Rights Reserved
Funded with the support of the Governments of Australia and South Australia Website by CeRDI