Complaints against police

The law concerning complaints against police in South Australia is found in the Police (Complaints and Disciplinary Proceedings) Act 1985 (SA) and all references in this section are to this Act unless otherwise stated.

Any person may make a complaint about the conduct of a member of the police to a designated officer of the police force (other than an officer about which the complaint is about) or to the Police Ombudsman (formerly the Police Complaints Authority) or to any member of the police force (except the one complained about) [s 16].

The complaint may be made by a person on his or her own behalf or by some other person (such as a family member or a friend) on that person's behalf. Anyone charged with a criminal offence should speak to his or her lawyer promptly.

Complaints against police  :  Last Revised: Fri Sep 19th 2014
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.
Link to - find what you're looking for

© Legal Services Commission - All Rights Reserved
Funded with the support of the Governments of Australia and South Australia Website by CeRDI