Drinking alcohol

If a child is sold or given liquor on licensed premises, both the child and the licensee, and any other person who supplies the child, have committed an offence. Liquor can be supplied at meals in the presence of a child but cannot be served to the child. Children cannot enter or remain on premises where a late night permit or an entertainment venue licence is in place or licensed areas which are declared out of bounds to minors [Liquor Licensing Act 1997 (SA) s 112]. In these situations, a sign should be displayed prohibiting access to minors.

It is illegal for minors to consume alcohol in any public place unless they are with a parent or guardian. At a party in a private house, it is not an offence to supply children with alcohol but a responsible adult should serve it to minimise the risk of over consumption. These informal situations are permitted so long as the alcohol is not sold to minors or payment is required as a condition of attending the party.

Under the Public Intoxication Act 1984 t(SA) he police can apprehend anyone (including a child) if they believe he or she is under the influence of alcohol and by reason of that fact is unable to take proper care of themselves. The police can then take him or her home or to a police station or sobering up centre. Where reasonably possible, the parents or guardians of a child who is detained should be contacted and special arrangements should be made to keep the child away from contact with adults who are detained at the same place [ss 6,7].

Drinking alcohol  :  Last Revised: Wed Jun 7th 2006
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.
Link to sa.gov.au - find what you're looking for

© Legal Services Commission - All Rights Reserved
Funded with the support of the Governments of Australia and South Australia Website by CeRDI