Workers Compensation

Workers who are injured at work may be entitled to compensation under the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1986 (SA).

Most employers are registered with WorkCover Corporation.  The WorkCover Corporation contracts out the management of claims relating to registered employers to one of two claims agents, Employers Mutual Limited (EML) or Gallagher Bassett (GB).

Some larger employers are self-insured and manage their own claims.  Injured workers have the same entitlements, whether they are employed by a registered employer or by a self-insured employer.

WorkCover, its claims agents and self-insured employers are called compensating authorities.

Workers who are injured at work may be entitled to payment of:

  • Medical and like expenses reasonably incurred as a result of the injury [s 32];
  • Weekly payments of income maintenance for periods lost from work as a result of the injury [s 35]; and/or
  • Lump sum compensation for any permanent physical impairment caused by the injury [s 43].
Workers Compensation  :  Last Revised: Mon May 13th 2013
The content of the Law Handbook is made available as a public service for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal advice. See Disclaimer for details. For free and confidential legal advice in South Australia call 1300 366 424.
Link to - find what you're looking for

© Legal Services Commission - All Rights Reserved
Funded with the support of the Governments of Australia and South Australia Website by CeRDI